The CAP (Professional Aptitude Certificate) Cuisine is an official state diploma recognized by all catering professionals. It allows you to learn how to prepare dishes, reheating, arranging them on a plate or a dish, managing stocks, respecting hygiene and safety.
The CAP Cuisine allows you to work in a private restaurant, a brasserie or in collective catering.
After obtaining your diploma, you will start as a kitchen assistant, then you will be able to work as a cook, restaurant manager, chef de partie or chef.
You will also be able to continue your studies and specialize to become a baker, pastry chef, butcher, butcher or caterer by preparing a Butcher BP (professional certificate), a BP Charcutier-traiteur, a BP baker or a Bac Pro Cuisine.
The CAP Cuisine tests
The candidate must be 16 years old, no diploma condition is required.
4 general tests
Candidates with a BEP, CAP, BAC or equivalent are exempt from the general exams
- EG1 – French, History-Geography and Civic Education (written and oral) – Duration 2H15
- EG2 – Mathematics and Physical Sciences (written) – Duration 2H
- EG3 – Physical and sports education
- EG4 – Optional oral modern foreign language test (only marks over 10 are taken into account) – Duration 0H20
3 professional tests
- EP1 – Supply and organization of culinary production (written) – Duration 2h30
- EP2 – Culinary productions (practice) – Duration 4:30 + Prevention, health, environment (written) – Duration 1 hour
- EP3 – Communication and marketing (oral with file) – Duration 0H10
Example of a subject at CAP Cuisine
Extract from an EP2 test – Culinary productions – Duration: 4H30.
Produce and distribute the 2 dishes using the following technical sheets:
Split pea soup, Pignatelli donuts, Espelette pepper whipped cream (8 people)
Duck breast with morello cherries, “Hazelnut” apples (4 people)
Schools preparing the CAP Cuisine
To pass the CAP Cuisine, you need to prepare it well. For this, distance schools have specialized in the preparation of this CAP. This is the case of Ecole des Pros, the benchmark school in this field. Ready to become a cook ?
General Education :
- History geography
- civic education
- Chemical Physics
- Living language
- Practical kitchen and technology
- Applied Science
- Knowledge of the company and its environment
- Environmental health prevention
- Food hygiene
- Supply and organization of culinary production
- Knowledge of culinary products